A Perfect Day

A beautiful September morn it was; one of those in which ‘Dame’ Nature is waiting with a satisfied smile, composing herself for the revelry of summer; A number of little pearl grey clouds sliding slowly from the West; long bars of hazy blue hanging over the heavens above, which gleamed beneath the brilliant sunshine. The town clock strikes nine, mingling with the bells on the central railway crossing, as the train steams towards Midland Junction; to return at 9.30 - Thus was the beginning of one Sunday morn - turning itself into one “Perfect Day”.

Breakfast over, I walked liesurely to the East Guildford station to catch the 9.30 train to the city; appreciating how good He was to serve us with such a glorious day; amongst the wildflowers in the hills. The train arrived at 9.36 and on pulling into Mt. Lawley station, I saw Mr. Gilham looking out the carriage window of the Kalamunda train which pulled alongside ours. I arrived in Perth at 10.3 and within a few minutes, found myself at Viking House; again to see my beloved waiting for me.

On deciding to make our day at Armadale, we took a parcel of sandwiches, a supply of cake, a bottle of ginger ale, oranges, and not forgetting the camera, which made the day more pleasant. Both ready, we walked to the railway station and soon found ourselves sitting in a carriage waiting departure.

Included in our compartment was one man, two women and a little girl, but before our train started, the party was increased by one young man and a boy. We pulled out at 10.50 thus making the train three minutes late in leaving.

The journey ended with very few incidents of importance, but one in particular was the splendid green orchards and vineyards the West grows. These beautiful sights can be seen all along the railway line, on either side.

On arrival at our destination at about 11.45 we disembarked and walked along the Albany Road for about a quarter of a mile. In front of us were two couples who were also taking the opportunity of enjoying a day amongst nature's gifts. (most enjoying as we afterwards saw.) When looking back down the hill, we noticed another party comprising of one man, two women and one boy. Just before we decided to turn off the road towards the bush, the party in front walked to the left and climbed through the fence towards our selected spot. On seeing this we passed them and walked about one hundred yards further on; then waited 'till the party in the rear made our lead. Everything as planned, we walked back a little way and moved off the road, through the fence amongst the small green trees and flowers.

After roaming the bush over rocks and hills for some suitable spot for rest, we found an admirable little place on the side of a hill, where nature claims all. - Just a world on its own; Far from the crowded streets; far from the clatter of voices; the rumbling of carts and busses; the noisy trams through the main business streets of the capital and the cries of the newsboys with the evening news.

Yes! a new peaceful world; where the sun shines its brightest; where the pleasant scent of the wildflowers floats towards you - intoxicating one with their fragrance. As far as the eye can see, are green and brown fields, proving to be either orchards or vineyards - some stretching themselves ever to the side of the Darling Range.

After necessary preparations being made for lunch (which were very few) we both decided to do justice to our ham sandwiches, cake and ginger ale. During lunch I took a photo of Dorrie at our “table”, which I propose to keep, with the others taken, as a souvenier of this glorious-day. We finished lunch by eating oranges, all of which were immensley enjoyed.

Lunch being over, and knowing that time was at our disposal, nothing seemed to marr our joy in having a “peaceful little rest”.

The time passed surprisingly quick, for on gazing at my watch, found it was 3.20 As we were both nearly dying for a cup of tea, we decided to make our way towards the town. After walking the bush for a short time, we came across the quarry. I also took a photo of this from the edge, looking down.

We found the road within ten minutes and after waling down the hill a little way. I washed my hands in a stream on the side of the hill. During this, Dorrie took a photo of me, which came out very clear.

After gathering a few flowers on the side of the road we arrived in the town, and walked along the main road in search of a restraunt. Passing the monument, I took another photo. Having found the tearooms, we called for scones and tea, and as we were both so thirsty and hungary, they seemed to be the best ever tasted.

We came out at 4.20 and when just leaving, I discovered that I left the camera near my chair. After going back for same, we started off again.

Having passed the park, we walked along ‘till we came to the Bunbury Rd., and saw the “Ye Olde Narrogin Inn” on the corner. We turned back and walked down the Bunbury Rd; it was at this turn, that we took another photo, looking along the Albany Rd., going towards the station.

We turned around the first road to the right, then to the left and passed the hotel, along the main road again to Armadale station. Arriving here about 5.30 we walked over the railway bridge. As we only had a short time to spare, we could not go very far; so decided to return.

On arrival at the station, I found that it was 5.50 so we were seated in the carriage in plenty of time, awaiting departure.

The train pulled out at 6.12 which made it three minutes late.

“What a beautiful sight”! said Dorrie, as the train steamed towards the city. Yes it was. From the carriage window, we could see the golden setting sun. The tall green trees turned black against a background of burning flame. Slowly and Slowly the glare beyond changed into darkness. Ths sun had again gone to rest.

We arrived in Perth at 7.9 both feeling tired of the day’s experience. After looking throught the new G.P.O. we walked through Brennan’s Arcade, into Hay Street, then to Viking House, soon to find tea waiting.

Tea being over, we passed the time by reading the “Times” and others. By this time, all were very tired and lazy. When the clock reached 9.30 supper was decided upon to keep us from going to sleep.

“When you come to the end of a Perfect Day and the good friends have to part”** (This little line, I think, will need no further comment.) I departed at 10.35 - anxiously waiting the morrow.

Awaiting at the station at 10.40 I caught the 10.45 train home, where I arrived at 11.25; by 11.35 found myself well in bed.

As I lie and think alone of this glorious day - this “Perfect Day” - of the joys that it has brought. A day that will never be forgotten. - All must end - but memories will never.

“Our Father, which art in Heaven” - - “give us this day” - - Yes! this one “Perfect Day”, that ends in peace - love - and happiness.

— Finis —

The above story was written (circa 1923) by my grandfather, Bertie Douglas Cox when he was still dating my grandmother, Dorothy (Dorrie) Frances Knox. They were married in 1927. The "Mr. Gilham" referred to was Dorothy's step-father.

In transcribing this story from the beautiful handwriting, I have tried to reproduce the exact punctuation and spelling as the original.

The photographs shown here are scanned from negatives (a recent family "discovery") and I'll get them reprinted and rescanned soon.

Drawings also by Bertie Cox (view his other drawings).

** Parts of this line ("When you come to the end of a perfect day...") seem to be quotes from a well known song entitled "A Perfect Day" by Carrie Jacobs-Bond written in 1909.

Last Modified: Wed, 7 Jul 2021

My HomePage

website stat